Early Childhood and Childhood Education, BS
New York City
Impact Early Learning
Experiences early in life have a lasting impact on later learning, well-being, and success. This dual program was created to support the development of all young children from birth through sixth grade, including those who are culturally, linguistically, and ability diverse. The Early Childhood/Childhood Education program leads to a bachelor’s degree and the New York State Initial Teaching Certificate in both early childhood and childhood education.
Get Ahead of the Class
- Embrace technology. You'll have the opportunity to practice real teaching using our virtual reality classroom simulator. We are one of the only schools in the region with this technology.
- Our teachers enter the field with experience. From your sophomore year, you’ll participate in immersive fieldwork and student teaching experience that include tutoring and small group instruction.
- Start your pathway to our Combined Degree Program. Over 90% of our students continue on to our 5th year Combined Degree Program in Special Education, Literacy, and TESOL. Get your bachelor’s and master’s degree, and at least two teaching certificates in just five years.
- Get hired. We have such strong partnerships with local school districts that our students are getting hired before they even graduate.
TAKE COURSES LIKE…
Our Early Childhood/Childhood Dual program is nationally recognized and leads to a bachelor's degree and the Initial Teaching Certificate in both early childhood education (birth–second grade) and childhood education (grades 1–6). Early Childhood Education/Childhood Education majors also complete a 30-credit concentration in biology, English, history, or mathematics on either campus, or Spanish on our New York City Campus.
- TCH 306 Creating Developmentally Appropriate Learning Experiences and Learning Environments in Early Childhood
- TCH 312 Fieldwork I in Early Childhood Settings (Kindergarten)
- TCH 410 Teaching Literacy Methods in the Humanities and Across Disciplines for a Diverse Population Grades K-6
ADD OPPORTUNITIES AND EXPERIENCES
Because experience is key, starting in your junior year, you will participate in our Center for Professional Development (CPD) model where you will practice your teaching skills through the completion of your undergraduate program. Receive hands-on experience in schools one day a week in your junior year and 2–5 days during your senior year. You’ll observe and tutor students, as well as provide small and eventually whole group instruction. Not only will you be able to apply what you are learning in the classroom, but also have the opportunity to explore different grade levels as you proceed through the program. As a CPD candidate, you have a unique opportunity to foster professional relationships with mentor teachers, students, and school staff, all in support of the diverse population of the students that you are serving.
CHOOSE YOUR CAREER
Day Care, Nursery School, Pre-School Teachers, or Elementary School Teacher through Grade 6.
WHERE GRADUATES ARE EMPLOYED
NYC DOE, Westchester, Rockland, and Putnam Public School Districts
of our graduates are employed or continuing their education (Source: Pace University Career Services)
best education schools in the US (Source: College Factual)
special education job placement (Source: Intelligent.com)