Choate House on the Pace Pleasantville campus

Part Time Staff

Pace University hopes our employees will stay healthy. It is important to know what benefits Pace University provides to protect your income and your family in the event that you are not actively at work due to illness or injury or you become deceased.

Click on the link below to view information about:

Long Term Care

Pace University offers a group Long Term Care plan. Some benefits of this group long term plan include:

  • Flexibility to purchase a plan that is tailored to best fit your needs and the needs of eligible family members including spouses/domestic partners, parents, children, siblings and grandparents;
  • Lower group-rated premiums as compared to premiums for individual long term care policies;
  • Convenient payroll deductions for employee and spousal coverage;
  • Full portability upon separation or retirement from Pace University.

This voluntary benefit is being offered by UnumProvident Life Insurance Company of America. Enrollment in the Long Term Care insurance program continues on a rolling basis. If you would like an enrollment package for the Long Term Care program at any time during the year, please visit Unum's website. In most cases, medical Evidence of Insurability (EOI) will be required by UNUM and may impact the approval of your application for this benefit.

Back To Top

Short Term Disability

Pace University offers part-time staff employees Short-Term Disability (STD) benefits through a New York State Mandated DBL plan that is currently administered by New York Life. Employees are eligible for benefits after working for at least four (4) consecutive weeks. Benefits are payable for any non-work related injury or illness (including disability due to pregnancy) beginning on the 8th consecutive day of disability (including weekends and holidays). Provided that your claim continues to be medically certified by your physician and New York Life, benefits are payable for up to 26 weeks within a 52-week period. Benefit payments are equal to 50% of average weekly wages. The current maximum payment amount is $170 per week.

**26 weeks within a 52-week period is the combined maximum duration of the following leaves: Short-Term Disability, New York Paid Family Leave, Workers’ Compensation disability leave.**

Reporting a Short Term Disability Claim

Please contact the University Benefits office, on or before your first day of absence, to discuss the expected duration of your disability leave. In addition, please contact New York Life, at 1 (888) 842-4462, to file a short-term disability claim. To ensure that your claim is processed in a timely manner, please contact New York Life no later than your seventh consecutive calendar day of absence. Please ensure that your supervisor is notified as well.

Family and Medical Leave

Part-Time employees are generally not eligible for Family and Medical Leave. Employees are eligible if they have worked for Pace University for at least one year, for 1,250 hours over the previous 12 months, and if at least 50 employees are employed by the employer within 75 miles. If you believe that you are eligible for Family and Medical Leave, please contact the University Benefits office, at, for verification. (If you are eligible for Family and Medical Leave, and a Short-Term Disability claim is medically certified, it will also count as time taken under the Family and Medical Leave Act.)

Employee Rights Under the Family and Medical Leave Act (PDF)

Back To Top

Workers Compensation

**26 weeks within a 52-week period is the combined maximum duration of the following leaves: Short-Term Disability, New York Paid Family Leave, Workers’ Compensation disability leave.**

Workers' Compensation is insurance that provides cash benefits and/or medical care for workers who are injured or become ill as a direct result of their job.

Pace University contributes fully towards this benefit. Weekly cash benefits and medical care are paid by Pace's University's insurance carrier, State Insurance Fund, as directed by the New York State Workers' Compensation Board. The Workers' Compensation Board is a state agency that processes the claims and determines, through a judicial proceeding, whether the claim is justified and how much will be awarded.

It is important that you or someone acting on your behalf report any injury on the job within 24 hours to your campus Security Office. Notify the UNiversity Benefits Office as well of the incident. It is equally important that your supervisor or department chair be advised of the incident. Responsibility for claiming compensation is on the injured employee. All incidents are to be reported to the Security Office no matter how minor they appear to be. The Security Office then must immediately complete an Incident Report and investigate the incident. The University can refuse to compensate an employee if the incident is not reported in a timely manner.

In addition, injured employees should seek outside medical attention for work related injuries or illness. Worker's Compensation claims can be denied if an injured employee is not diagnosed/treated by a physician that is Board Certified.

Back To Top