Updates for Fall 2022 - Spring 2023
What is a Graduate Assistantship?
A graduate assistantship is a graduate student employment opportunity to work a set number of hours per week and, in return, receive tuition remission and a stipend.
A graduate assistantship serves two purposes:
- To provide graduate students with part-time, paid work experiences in their field of study, and allow them to expand and/or apply their discipline knowledge and skills under expert supervision.
- To provide support to Pace faculty in carrying out research projects or other special assignments that require advanced discipline skills.
When are Graduate Assistantships Offered?
Graduate Assistantships (GA) are offered for the Fall and Spring semesters only. The GA is assigned to a semester-based assignment and will need to reapply each semester.
Please note that only a limited number of Graduate Assistantships are granted to the various academic departments within each school each year.
What are the Qualifications to Apply for a Graduate Assistantship?
To qualify for a graduate assistantship, the student must:
- Be fully admitted as a degree-seeking student in a Pace University graduate program at the time of appointment.
- Successfully maintain a minimum course load of 6-graduate credit hours per semester for a full-time graduate assistantship or carry a minimum course load of 3-graduate credit hours per semester for a part-time or quarter-time assistantship.
- Be in good academic standing (not on academic probation or in jeopardy of dismissal).
Types of Graduate Assistantships Offered:
- Full-time Assistantship:
- A 20-hour per week work assignment for 15-weeks per semester (300-hours) corresponding to the beginning and ending dates for a semester as published in the university schedule.
- Support includes:
- A stipend of $4,500 each semester
- Tuition credit for up to 6-graduate credits per semester; required enrollment 6-credits
- Part-time Assistantship:
- A 10-hour per week work assignment for 15 weeks per semester (150-hours) corresponding to the beginning and ending dates for a semester as published in the university schedule.
- Support includes:
- A stipend of $2,250 per semester
- Tuition credit for up to 3-graduate credits per semester; required enrollment 3-credits
- Quarter-time Assistantship:
- A 5-hour per week work assignment for 15 weeks per semester (75-hours) corresponding to the beginning and ending dates for a semester as published in the university schedule.
- Support includes:
- A stipend of $1,125 per semester
- Tuition credit for up to 1.5-graduate credits per semester; required enrollment 3-credits
- For Hiring Managers: The first step is to speak with your School Budget Representative to determine the availability of funds, including both the stipend and tuition remission benefits. This will help determine the number and type of GA’s that can be offered.
- The GA must submit an application or resume for review, or you may request resumes and applications from the school. For students, Graduate Assistantship forms can be found in the "Graduate Application Information Booklet" for the specific school to which the student is applying for an assistantship.
- The Hiring Manager reviews the applications, interviews the students, and makes the final selections.
- Once the students have been selected for hire, the Hiring Manager submits the application through the online GA Contract System to initiate a graduate assistantship contract. Please refer to the main page of the online application for a video tutorial and PDF quick reference guide.
Please note: Graduate Assistantships must be renewed every semester.
The GA must report to their campus Human Resources Office to fill out new hire paperwork. Making an appointment is recommended. In addition, certain materials will be required when filling out new hire paperwork, including a Passport, OR Social Security Card and Driver's License.
Please note: the GA's stipend payment will be delayed if this necessary step is not fully completed.
- Westchester Campus: Human Resources Office is located at 100 Summit Lake Drive, 3rd Floor, Valhalla, NY, and is open from 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. (914) 923-2730.
- New York Campus: Human Resources Office is located on the 161 William Street, 16th Floor, and is open from 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. (212) 346-1630.
Hiring managers should confirm with the Talent Acquisition (x22730) that the new hire paperwork has been received and processed prior to the GA's first day of work.