Hiring a Pace University Student for On-Campus Employment
1. Gain Access to People Admin.
- If you do not already have access to People Admin - Careers@ Pace for Hiring Managers, located under the Staff tab on Pace Portal, have your business representative contact Talent Talent Acquisition to request access. Be sure to ask them to include which org code(s) you will need access to.
2. Log into PeopleAdmin.
- Once you are logged in, click on the “Postings” tab and select the “Student” option.
- Then click on the orange button located at the top right section labeled “Create New Posting.”
- Select “Create from Posting Template"
3. Select the position classification you are hiring for (Student Assistant or Student Intern).
- Click "Create Posting from this Posting Template" in the top right-hand corner.
- If it is not already prepopulated, select your organizational unit’s Executive area, Division and Department.
- Select “Create Posting”.
4. In the posting details section, be sure to fill in the following:
- Position Number: The student position number will have a prefix that will determine whether it is a student assistant position or a student intern position. Following the prefix, will be the department’s index number. For example, student positions in Human Resources would be as follows:
AHR011 – HR Student Intern
1HR011 - Student Assistant
These positions are pooled which means that multiple students can be hired into the same position number at different rates. If you are unsure of the index number that the student positions should be paid out of, please contact your business representative. If this is a brand new position and you do not have a position number activated, please contact the compensation department at (914) 923-2658 to request a new position number.
- Primary Campus/Site
- Position Contact Name
- Position Contact Phone/Extension
- Indicate if this is a Grant Funded position
- Position Summary and Position Duties - This should be specific to your position. You may edit what's already filled in to fit your specifications.
- Position Qualifications - This should also be specific to your position. You may edit what's already filled in to fit your specifications.
- Work Hours - This is also specific to your position. You may edit what's already filled in to fit your specifications.
- Number of positions to be filled
- Applicant Reviewer- Please select the staff that should have access to view and status the applicants, including yourself.
- Click "Next" until you get to the last page, which will allow you to submit the posting. Nothing needs to be filled in on the other tabs.
Once submitted, Talent Acquisition will review and post the position. There is no internal posting period for students. It will go live immediately after being posted so that students can begin applying.
5. Receive Applications & Interview Students
- Interested students will apply by completing an application for your posted position on People Admin.
- The hiring manager reviews all applications and interview candidates of interest
6. Hiring the Final Candidate(s)
- Inform the Talent Acquisition Specialist on your campus of your new hire. You should be ready to provide them with a start date and hourly rate. You should also let them know who else, if anyone, was interviewed for the position so that they may status the positions and close them out properly. In Westchester, reach out to your Talent Acquisition Specialist at (914) 923-2673. In New York City, reach out to your Talent Acquisition Specialist at (212) 346-1630.
7. Student Completes New Hire Forms
- All new employees are required to complete their new-hire paperwork and Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 on or before their first day of work.
- As soon as the offer letter is sent, the student will receive an email message from Pace University with the subject line including the phrase, “TalentEd Records,” which will provide a link to our online electronic paperwork system.
- Once all new hire paperwork has been submitted online, they will need to visit the Human Resources office on or before their start date to present original identification in order to complete the new hire process.
Students cannot begin working until this process has been completed. Failure to submit the forms in a timely manner will result in delay of payment.
8. Paying the Student
- Once all paperwork is received the employment record will be created or updated according to the Staffing Payroll Schedule (PDF).
- Timesheets will be generated for approval by the supervisor.
- All hours that the student works must be entered and approved by the supervisor in order for them to be paid. If you do not approve a time sheet the student will not receive payment for the hours that they have worked; therefore it is imperative that you do so in a timely manner.
- Please contact Financial Information Systems to learn how a student employee may log in and out of their time sheet on their own in order to note their hours worked. A supervisor must still approve these hours at the end of each pay period in the electronic time sheet in order for the student to receive a pay check.