Using Qwickly for Attendance Verification
Please note that Qwickly uses the terms ”Qwickly Attendance” and ”Take Attendance” for the Attendance Verification process. Attendance, therefore, means the student has participated in the class during the reporting period. The reporting dates will be communicated by the Provost Office each semester.
- From within your Classes course shell, on the navigation bar (Tools), click on Qwickly Attendance.
- If you have previously saved Qwickly settings in your course, you can skip down to step #4. If you have not saved Qwickly settings, click "Begin Set-Up."
- On the next page, scroll down to the very bottom and click "Save Settings" on the far-right.
- After you have saved the settings, scroll back up to the top and click, "Take Attendance."
- You will see a pop-up reminder note to complete the verification form at the bottom of the page.
- Click on the bottom reminder note to launch the verification form and select a radio button for each student. The form provides two options. The student has either attended, or they have not attended. For the purposes of verification, a student is considered to have “been present” either in-person, online, or as part of an asynchronous class if they have participated in the class or a class-related activity. A student only needs to have participated one time for you to click the "Has attended" radio button.
- At the bottom of the form, you can either "Save" the form and work on it later, or you can "Submit" the form. If you have been able to verify enrollment or non-enrollment for every student in the section, you may submit the form. After you submit the form, you will not be able to make changes to the form. This is a one-time, non-reversible event. If you have not been able to verify enrollment or non-enrollment, you may save the form until the next class session. You must, however, complete the form during the reporting period. The reporting dates will be communicated by the Provost Office each semester.
You may only submit the data once for each course, so please only submit when you are certain about the status of each student, or by the end of the reporting period. If you need to make a change after submitting the Qwickly form please use the following link to access an update/correction form that will be processed for you by the Registrar’s Office.
If you have questions about using Qwickly contact the ITS Helpdesk.
Attendance Verification - Faculty FAQ
Pace University is required to verify the attendance of Federal Aid recipients because it impacts their financial aid eligibility. This process is called Attendance Verification. Attendance Verification is necessary for properly reporting enrollment to the US Department of Education’s National Student Loan Data System. It confirms eligibility for State aid and Institutional aid, helps Athletes to stay on track, and international students to remain in the United States.
No. We are required to submit the verification for every course a student receives financial aid, so this is needed for each semester.
Attendance Verification must be completed for shorter terms as well. For each type of shorter term (e.g., intersessions, Full Summer, First Fall, First Spring, First Summer, Second Fall, etc.) the verification form must be submitted one week before the end date of the course.
Academic Engagement: Active participation by a student in an instructional activity related to the student's course of study that -
- Is defined by the institution in accordance with any applicable requirements of its State or accrediting agency;
- Includes, but is not limited to -
- Attending a synchronous class, lecture, recitation, or field or laboratory activity, physically or online, there there is an opportunity for interaction between the instructor and students;
- Submitting an academic assignment;
- Taking and assessment or an exam;
- Participating in an interactive tutorial, webinar, or other interactive computer-assisted instruction;
- Participating in a study group, group project, or an online discussion that is assigned by the institution; or
- Interacting with and Instructor about academic matters; and
- Does not include, for example -
- Living in institutional housing;
- Participating in the institution's meal plan;
- Logging into an online class or tutorial without any further participation; or
- Participating in academic counseling or advisement.
Several things happen:
- The students who are receiving financial aid and are not recorded as having participated in a class will lose a portion, or all their financial aid. It could also trigger repayment of the student’s federal loans. This has serious consequences for the student; it is your responsibility to complete all Enrollment Verification forms for students enrolled in your courses.
- The students will be administratively dropped from your course.
- Pace University will be subjected to heavy fines by the US Department of Education.
As a member of the Pace faculty, you will appreciate the importance of the financial aid payments our students receive, and the support that we as a community strive to give to our students. This verification process is demanded by the US Department of Education and is a responsibility Pace takes very seriously so that we can continue to award federal (Title IV) funds and support our students.
- You will be contacted by the Office of the Provost to explain why and to discuss the implications for the students in your class who receive financial aid.
- The students in your class will be administratively dropped from their course.
- The students will lose a portion, or all their financial aid.
You can submit before the end of the reporting period if all students have already participated in the class. Once the form is submitted in Qwickly you cannot resubmit it if a student turns up to a later class during the reporting period.
No. Once the form is submitted it is locked by the system.
Please use the following link to access an update/correction form that will be processed for you by the Registrar’s Office.
Once you are familiar with this process you will see how quick and easy it is to do Attendance Verification through Classes and Qwickly. We are constantly working to streamline administrative functions, and to minimize tedious manual work. The system used for Attendance Verification is quick and efficient.
The Attendance Verification forms can only be submitted using Qwickly within our Classes LMS. Once you are familiar with this process you will see how quick and easy it is to do Attendance Verification using Qwickly. If you need to learn how to access Qwickly in the Classes LMS please contact Academic Technology.
A student should inform you ahead of time that they will be absent during the first three weeks of class to explain. Based upon the criteria listed above you can verify their participation.
For all course types, including thesis, internships, labs, online courses, etc., the instructor must verify the students participation based on some type of participation as listed above. This may include submission of an online assignment or other course related contact with the instructor. (However, simply logging into the Classes LMS system will not count as an academically related activity.)
Do not use Qwickly to report this if you have already submitted the form. The only purpose of the Attendance Verification process is to establish that the student began their class and started academic activity.
If the student later stops attending, use OnTrack, our early warning system to alert academic advising. Reach out to the student to inform them that they should withdraw officially from the course or else risk receiving a failing grade. If a student does not officially withdraw but ceases attendance, you should follow the grading instructions and assign an I-F grade with the last date of attendance.