Respondus allows instructors to create take-home or face-to-face exams that require locking down access to the Internet or other resources. Students can use their laptop or one of the listed Pace Computer Labs where Respondus is pre-installed.
Faculty and Students
How to Get This Service
Make sure the test has been deployed in your Blackboard course.
- Go to the Control Panel in your course in Blackboard
- Select Course Tools and click on Respondus LockDown Browser
- A list of deployed tests will be displayed. Tests labeled with “Required” require students to use LockDown Browser. Tests labeled with “Not Required” do not require LockDown Browser.
Click here and follow the instructions to download and install the Respondus LockDown Browser. When you are ready to take a test, run the LockDown Browser by double-clicking on the shortcut on your desktop. Navigate to your Blackboard course inside the LockDown Browser and click on your test to begin.
For any inquiries, support requests, or to report an issue related to this service, please contact the ITS Help Desk. Support requests can also be submitted online at help.pace.edu (MyPace Portal username and password required). Please use the Information Technology > Blackboard > Respondus request type (Note: Clicking this link will pre-populate the form after you log in).
Contact the ITS Help Desk
Student must install the Respondus LockDown Browser on their laptop or, alternatively, use one of the computer labs listed below where Respondus is pre-installed.
How Does Respondus Work?
The instructor integrates a test in Blackboard with Respondus. Students must install and use the Respondus LockDown Browser which locks down the testing environment. When students use Respondus they are unable to access other applications, go to other websites, print, or copy. Results can automatically be saved to the Grade Center in Blackboard.
The Respondus LockDown Browser is pre-installed in the following computer labs:
All 26 Windows7 PCs
|W202 Main Lab
All 30 Windows7 PCs
|Willcox Main Lab
All 53 Windows7 PCs
All 10 Windows8 PCs
2 Macs: plv_crc_mac01 and plv_crc_mac06
- Familiarize yourself with Respondus within the Respondus Test Course.
- Include a syllabus statement that describes how you plan to use Respondus.
- ITS does not recommend using Respondus on mobile devices.
- Consider an exam policy that tells students they must use a laptop or desktop for exams in Respondus with a hard-wired connection.
- Create a no-stakes practice test for your students to practice using Respondus in order to eliminate complications on exam day.
Does the student or faculty member have to install anything?
For the faculty member, the program is already integrated with Blackboard and no installation is necessary. Students may use Respondus already installed on Pace computer lab machines, or they may install it onto their own machine from their Blackboard dashboard page.
Is there an option to use a webcam for video review of the student taking the test?
Yes, Respondus has a Monitor function that requires the student to take a photo of him-/herself as well as creating a video of the test environment and the test process.
Is it difficult to link a Blackboard test with Respondus?
No, simply checking a checkbox will require Respondus for a specific test.
Is it possible for a student to use a spreadsheet during the test?
Yes, Respondus allows the student to open a specific version of Excel.
What happens if the student’s Internet connection is broken while taking the test?
A broken Internet connection may cause problems. Therefore, a wired connection is always recommended.