Respondus allows instructors to create take-home or face-to-face exams that require locking down access to the Internet or other resources. Students can use their laptop or one of the listed Pace Computer Labs where Respondus is pre-installed.
How to Access Respondus
Make sure the test has been created in your Brightspace/CLASSES course.
- Go to the Quizzes area in your course in Classes
- Click on the Respondus LockDown Browser tab near the top of the screen.
- Click on the chevron to the left of the desired quiz and select Settings from the drop-down menu.
Follow the instructions to download and install the Respondus LockDown Browser. When you are ready to take a quiz, navigate to your course and quiz in your usual browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) and click on the blue button to Launch the LockDown Browser.
- Create a no-stakes practice test for your students to practice using Respondus in order to prevent complications on exam day.
- Include a syllabus statement that describes how you plan to use Respondus.
- ITS does not recommend using Respondus on mobile devices, including iPads.
- Consider an exam policy that tells students they must use a laptop or desktop computer for exams in Respondus with a hard-wired connection.
For any inquiries about this service, or to submit a request, please click this link to submit a Help Desk Ticket (Pace Portal username, password, and Duo MFA passcode required for login).
Contact the ITS Help Desk
Student must install the Respondus LockDown Browser on their laptop or, alternatively, use one of the computer labs listed below where Respondus is pre-installed.
The Respondus LockDown Browser is pre-installed in the following computer labs:
All 26 Windows7 PCs
All 30 Windows7 PCs
Willcox Main Lab
All 53 Windows7 PCs
All 10 Windows8 PCs
2 Macs: plv_crc_mac01 and plv_crc_mac06
New York City
W202 Main Lab
Does the student or faculty member have to install anything?
For the faculty member, the program is already integrated with Brightspace/CLASSES and no installation is necessary. Students may use Respondus already installed on Pace computer lab machines, or they may install it onto their own machine before beginning a Respondus-enabled quiz.
Is there an option to use a webcam for video review of the student taking the test?
Yes, Respondus has a Monitor function that requires the student to take a photo of him-/herself as well as creating a video of the test environment and the test process.
Is it difficult to link a Brightspace/CLASSES quiz with Respondus?
No, simply checking a checkbox will require Respondus for a specific test.
Is it possible for a student to use a spreadsheet during the test?
Yes, Respondus allows the student to open a specific version of Excel.
What happens if the student’s Internet connection is broken while taking the test?
A broken Internet connection may cause problems. Therefore, a wired connection is always recommended.