Respondus allows instructors to create take-home or face-to-face exams that require locking down access to the Internet or other resources. Students can use their laptop or one of the listed Pace Computer Labs where Respondus is pre-installed.
How to Access Respondus
Make sure the test has been created in your Brightspace/CLASSES course.
- Go to the Quizzes area in your course in Classes
- Click on the Respondus LockDown Browser tab near the top of the screen.
- Click on the chevron to the left of the desired quiz and select Settings from the drop-down menu.
Follow the instructions to download and install the Respondus LockDown Browser. When you are ready to take a quiz, navigate to your course and quiz in your usual browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) and click on the blue button to Launch the LockDown Browser.
- Create a no-stakes practice test for your students to practice using Respondus in order to prevent complications on exam day.
- Include a syllabus statement that describes how you plan to use Respondus.
- ITS does not recommend using Respondus on mobile devices, including iPads.
- Consider an exam policy that tells students they must use a laptop or desktop computer for exams in Respondus with a hard-wired connection.
For any inquiries about this service, or to submit a request, please click this link to submit a Help Desk Ticket (MyPace Portal username, password, and Duo MFA passcode required for login).
Contact the ITS Help Desk
Phone: (914) 773-3333
Toll Free: 1 (855) 722-3487
Student must install the Respondus LockDown Browser on their laptop or, alternatively, use one of the computer labs listed below where Respondus is pre-installed.
The Respondus LockDown Browser is pre-installed in the following computer labs:
All 26 Windows7 PCs
All 30 Windows7 PCs
Willcox Main Lab
All 53 Windows7 PCs
All 10 Windows8 PCs
2 Macs: plv_crc_mac01 and plv_crc_mac06
New York City
W202 Main Lab
Does the student or faculty member have to install anything?
For the faculty member, the program is already integrated with Brightspace/CLASSES and no installation is necessary. Students may use Respondus already installed on Pace computer lab machines, or they may install it onto their own machine before beginning a Respondus-enabled quiz.
Is there an option to use a webcam for video review of the student taking the test?
Yes, Respondus has a Monitor function that requires the student to take a photo of him-/herself as well as creating a video of the test environment and the test process.
Is it difficult to link a Brightspace/CLASSES quiz with Respondus?
No, simply checking a checkbox will require Respondus for a specific test.
Is it possible for a student to use a spreadsheet during the test?
Yes, Respondus allows the student to open a specific version of Excel.
What happens if the student’s Internet connection is broken while taking the test?
A broken Internet connection may cause problems. Therefore, a wired connection is always recommended.