User Services provides instructor-led training on key technologies being used at Pace. A training session can be scheduled for an individual or group, and is conducted remotely via Skype for Business.
Faculty and Staff
How To Get This Service
To register for one or more of these topics, please email us at email@example.com.
Upon receiving your request, an ITS staff member will contact you to discuss your needs and schedule a date and time for the training.
If you have any questions related to I.T. training, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Best Practices for Managing Email and Safe Computing
Email has become an essential part of how we communicate with others and conduct our daily business. At the same time, the large amount of email many of us receive every day has created a need to learn new ways to manage and keep it under control. In addition, the proliferation of computers and other mobile devices has made it easier to store and share vast amounts of information. Unfortunately, that includes personal information and other sensitive data, which has become a very attractive and lucrative target for scammers, hackers, and identity thieves. These potential threats have created a need to establish a set of best practices for managing email and computing safely.
This 1 ½ hour information session will cover the following topics:
- Setting up a system to organize and manage email using MS Outlook 2016
- Great MS Outlook 2016 features that help you manage email more effectively
- Spam and Phishing emails
- Potential risks with email and Internet (e.g. Phishing, Malware, etc.)
- Why is I.T. Security so critical?
- Computer and/or mobile device security
- Best password practices and creation guidelines
- Wireless security
- How to report an I.T. Security incident
Skype for Business integrates instant messaging (IM), PC-to-PC audio and video, document and screen sharing capabilities, and Web Conferencing functionality into one easy to use unified platform that will contribute to greater collaboration and more effective communication.
This 1 ½ hour virtual, instructor-led session will cover the following topics:
- Overview of the Skype for Business Interface Window
- Adding your Profile Picture
- Viewing Presence and Location Info
- Changing your Status
- Adding, Organizing, and Viewing Contacts
- Starting a Skype for Business IM or Audio Conversation
- Quickly Adding Video to a Conversation
- Easily Sharing a Document or your Computer Screen
- Recording your Session
- Scheduling Skype for Business Meetings from Outlook
- Using Skype for Business Web App
- Presenter Role vs. Attendee Role
- Setting Online Meeting Options
- More Great Skype for Business Resources Online
To participate in this virtual session, you must have the Skype for Business client installed on your Windows computer. If you have a Mac, you must use Skype for Business, which comes with MS Office 2016 for Mac. You can download Skype for Business for Mac.
In addition, you must have a webcam, microphone, and computer speakers (or headset) to use the PC-to-PC audio and video features. If you plan to purchase a webcam, ITS recommends the Microsoft LifeCam model, which comes with a built-in microphone. Request a price quote via the ITS Helpdesk.
Getting to Know your Pace Systems
Pace University uses a variety of applications to conduct its business and support daily administrative and academic functions. These applications are used by students, staff, and faculty alike.
This 1 ½ hour session will provide a basic overview of the following systems:
- MyPace Portal
- MS Outlook Exchange Email
- ADAM (Apps, Downloads, & Account Management) Web Page
- Web Help Desk System (from User’s Perspective)
- Virtual Private Networking (VPN) and Remote Desktop
- PACE-WIFI Network
- ITS Webpages (Getting Help; Services; ITS News)
- IT Status Page
Introduction to MS Outlook Exchange 2016
MS Outlook Exchange 2016 is a personal information manager, which helps to organize your entire desktop by utilizing folders such as Mail for effective email communication, Tasks to consolidate your to-do list, Calendar to plan your schedule, and Contacts to organize the people in your life. MS Outlook’s robust features work together to enhance collaboration and productivity among end-users.
This 1 ½ hour introductory session will cover the following topics:
- Basic Overview of the Outlook 2016 Interface (Ribbon, Main Windows, To-Do Bar, etc.)
- Sending and Receiving Emails and Attachments
- Using the Address Book to Search and Insert Email Recipients
- Replying to and Forwarding Emails
- Saving an Email as a Draft
- Organizing Emails in Folders
- Creating, Renaming, and Deleting Folders
- Moving EMails Between Folders
- Mailbox Folders vs. Personal Folders
- Using the Out of Office Assistant for your Away/Vacation Message
- Switching Between Calendar Views
- Adding/Editing/Deleting an Appointment or All-Day Event
- Making Private Appointments
- Scheduling a Meeting and Tracking Attendees’ Responses
- Canceling a Scheduled Meeting
- Replying to a Meeting Request
- Sharing your Calendar with Others
- Opening a Shared Calendar
- Printing Different Calendar Views
- Adding/Editing/Deleting Contacts and Contact Groups
- Adding Contacts Quickly from Outlook Email or the Address Book
- Outlook Web Access Overview (if time permits)
Virtual Private Networking (VPN) and Remote Desktop are two distinct technologies that work together to enable secure remote access to a computer on the Pace University network.
This 45-minute session will cover the following topics:
- Downloading and Installing VPN on your Remote (off-campus) Computer
- Enabling Remote Access on your Office (target) Computer
- Changing Access Settings and Power Options
- Connecting to your Office Computer from the Remote Computer
- Setting Additional Options
- Managing your Remote Session Window
- Disconnecting from your Remote Session
Web Helpdesk is an online issue-tracking application used at Pace University. It provides a system for documenting, tracking, and analyzing issues and inquiries placed by students, faculty, and staff, and helps to expedite a timely and effective solution. The system creates “tickets” (work orders), which can then be easily updated by either the affected end-user (client) and/or any personnel who follow up (technicians).
This 1-hour introductory session will cover the following topics:
- Signing In & Out of Web Helpdesk
- Creating a New Ticket
- Adding Ticket Details
- Selecting Recipients
- Using the CC and BCC option
- Searching for a Ticket
- Performing a Basic Search for a Ticket
- Finding Tickets Assigned to Me
- Finding Tickets Assigned to My Tech Groups
- Adding, Updating, or Editing a Note
- Updating the Ticket Status
- Updating the Ticket Priority
- Changing Request Types
- Transferring a Ticket
- Assigning a Ticket to another Technician within your Tech Group
- Assigning a Ticket to another Technician
- Web Helpdesk Best Practices
Other Training Aids
Additionally, documentation has been created to guide you through various steps for configurations, options, and using a host of applications. Visit the ITS Knowledge Base for additional instructions.